Child custody

Submitted by singledad34 on Thu, 08/08/2013 - 06:35

My children's mother passed away early this year.  I was not notified by the mother's family about the passing and the maternial grandmother has filed for primary physical and legal custody and I have filed for sole custody of my children.  The grandmother has neglected their medical needs (mental and emotional) and I have supervised visitation because I didn't have any employment at that time.  The grandmother has filed for child support and the hearing is scheduled for October.  I would like to know if I gain employment-can I write a letter to the Judge that is handling the case and reschedule if I am on a probation period?