Bio dads and rights

Submitted by mandi21 on Wed, 04/10/2019 - 11:18
My ex and I have a daughter that is now 8 years old, he hasn't seen her or have any contact or sent any child support since she was three! I want him to sign over his rights so my boyfriend and I can get married and my boyfriend wants to adopt my daughter as he is the only dad my daughter has really ever known! can this be done? and how do I start? this is in Manitoba by the way.

CLARIFICATION- the reason he hasn't seen her is at his own will he has always had the right to com see our daughter I have never said no to him seeing her, I have even invited him to all of her birthday parties which he only attended one when she turned 3 years old! just wanted to make that clear.

You already have a defacto agreement. However, if you're looking for something in writing, then go ahead, draft something up in your own words. Then ask the father to sign it. Parents can make any agreement they want. But typically it's all temporary anyway.